Dream Big! Come to Granville Island on February 14 (10:00 am – 2:00 pm) when Celebration 2010
begins three weeks of activity by bringing together youth, artists and performers at Dream 2010,
a spectacular community art project. Popular children's entertainer Fred Penner helps kick off
the celebration with two free performances.
The highlight of the day's festivities is the Dream 2010 Mobile, a giant eight-piece
sculpture designed to showcase children's dreams and aspirations for the year 2010. Located under
The Crane (in front of the Granville Island Hotel), the mobile will be decorated and gradually
suspended 50 feet above the ground over the course of two weekends. The Mobile remains on display
at Granville Island until February 22.
Take part in a full slate of
- Celebration 2010 Stage, featuring free performances by Fred Penner; singer/songwriter Marcel Gagnon; and a variety of youth groups.
- Dream Art where you can Create your Dreams on site or at various Dream Art Workshops (Granville Island, Science World) and attach them to the mobile on Granville Island.
- Dancing in the Streets includes a parade of drummers, stilt walkers and life size puppets that will circle the Island beginning at noon.
- Arts and crafts area with origami demonstrations, balloon art, rock painting, storytelling and face painting as well as improvisational theatre to entertain.
- Athletes corner where Children dreaming of Olympic greatness can learn about the experience firsthand at the Alcan Spirit Tour Athletes' corner, with Olympian Nancy Drolet of Canada's National Women's Hockey Team.
- Book of Dreams write a poem, draft an essay, create song lyrics or describe a dream for the future. Written works can be created on site at Granville Island or mailed, faxed or submitted on-line at the Celebration 2010 website. A handmade volume will complement the Dream 2010 Mobile on Granville Island and in its future travels.
Submit your Dream for 2010 to the
The celebration continues on Granville Island February 15 & 16 (noon - 4:00pm) as well as Friday February 21 (10:00am - 2:00pm) and Saturday February 22 (noon - 4:00pm), with great entertainment , Dream Art workshops, Book of Dreams, arts and crafts and other activities.
Check out the Performance listings for details on all Celebration 2010 programs and activities.